I reaLLi DuNnO's EnTry

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Life as an IT person

To all my fellow IT friends out there. Have u even got frustrated over explaining ur job to others? I have. Here goes....

Its a nice once in a while lunch at Granny's Joo Chiat home for some festival praying n incense burning. As a Hainanese lunch, there will be all meaty stuff on the table; roast pork belly, 2 giant chickens, succulent roast duck, fried fish, mountainous heaps of fried prawns,stir fried liver n pork n plates of vegs n of course... my targetted chicken soup.

Being the youngest in my Paternal family, I'm used to keeping quiet n listen to what my cousins(who r at least 10 years older than I am) talk abt their career, stock market stuff, which sch-offers-the-best Masters n adult knots...That's either before lunch or during lunch. I usually go play wif my granny's hm old mongrel, escape to the MaMa shop at the corner of sleepy Joo Chiat Road for Mentos or stuff myself busy wif food during lunch, to maintain my silence as the young one.

I know its difficult for cousins to communicate closely since we have a wide age gap n we dun meet often.. Sometimes I do feel awkward n being stuck on wat topics to talk abt. So I feel appreciated when my cousins try their best to communicate though the awkwardness is still around

However, on this eventful lunch things took a bit of a change. It begin when my cousins start the usual " how is mei mei doing question." I told them" I'm in my final year of my Diploma In Business IT." " Well, r u busy?" "Yup." I replied. N my eldest cousin asked me what modules I went through, i told the usual Biz n IT modules. "U do programming?" "Yup." I replied.

Before i knew, my cousins asked me a wide range of IT questions. "Mei mei, my computer's speed is kinda slow after it got hit by a virus... wat can I do?" All I know is to format the com n dump it to the tec if u can't fix. " Mei mei, how to look out for email attachments wif virus contents?" ~ Sorry for my rudeness... but virus dun read" ATTN-DUN OPEN>>> I"M A COMPUTER VIRUS " on email messages.

I told my cousin nicely that I have no idea n to play safe, open the attachment mail in the office computer if they r afraid of virus invasion on their hm PC. "But Mei mei, there must be a way to look out for virus in mails" -_-

"Mei mei, how do u know if a ADSL broadband modem is confirm a ADSL broadband modem..." "Wat's the startup for C programming?"" How do u know wat object is in C?"

I'm not trying to be rude here but I feel kind of helpless. I'm a Biz major IT student. I patiently explained that I study little programming n there r lots of programming languages out there in the market which is not in my module since I'm not a pure IT or Com eng person. I have no helpdesk knowledge as IT sch dun teach us how to save a dying computer. I told them I specialize in datawarehouse, ERP n SAP, they look blank..."arh.. that's oso programming? -_- "

I almost choked on my roast duck... but this time, I can't stuff myself quickly n retreat to the kitchen for chicken soup as my wound will hurt.

Its hard being an IT person... IT in laymans term = Repair Computer n programming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home